Sunday, April 15, 2007

Bird 72















Bird 72
Gender: Male
Birth date: Unknown (from newer group)
Preferred Partner: Bird 71

Bird 72 is the father of Birds 73 and 74 and here he is sitting on two more eggs. The birds from the newer group seem to be younger/healthier and producing more little ones.

In this picture you can see the newspaper I shred for them. Some of them use it to build nests and the others prefer bare cages. At first I put out the strips as stimulating material (the home cage room is pretty bare). But they don't often just play with it. It is usually nesting material.

He and Bird 71 have a very strong preference for one another. There are about five couples like this that I have observed (some of the birds are in experiments though, so partners may be inaccessible to each other and my observation). As I look back over my first notes from January, when I let them out of their cages, my very first ones included that 71 and 72 were a pair. It is rare to see them apart from each other. Here is a recent common sight of them together in their chosen nesting spot.

No comments: